This is a simple and delicious soup for family meal or served as broth for noodle soup.
Make 4 servings
- 1/2 lb chicken sausage (use the recipe from Chicken sausage patties, but do not fry them)
- 1 can of chicken broth
- 3 cups of water
- 2 carrots, peeled, washed, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 pieces of Napa cabbage, cut into 1-in pieces
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 sprigs of cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1-2 green onion, thinly sliced
- In a microwave safe bowl, add carrot and 1/2 cup of water, heat it up for 5-7 minutes until carrots cooked through. This step is used to speed up the cooking process.
- In a pot, add water, chicken broth, salt, and bring to boil over high heat.
- Use a tablespoon, scoop the chicken sausage into balls (do not need to be round shape), drop into the soup. Cook for 5 minutes until chicken balls floating on the surface.
- Carefully add cooked carrot, Napa cabbage, and cook for 3-5 minutes over medium high heat. Taste the soup, add extra salt to your taste.
- Transfer soup to a large bowl, sprinkle cilantro, green onion and ground black pepper.
- Serve hot.
- Napa cabbage enhances the soup flavor.
- You also can cook carrot directly in broth. Napa cabbage must add into the pot after cooking chicken.
- Also, we can use chopped shrimp or ground pork instead of chicken.