“Ca Chua Nhoi Thit” is Vietnamese tomatoes stuffed with pork. It’s a popular dish and served with rice for lunch or dinner at home. For healthy cooking, I created “Ca Chua Nhoi Cha Ga,” is tomatoes stuffed with Vietnamese chicken sausage. This light and delicious dish can be served as an appetizer or a side dish.
Ca Chua Nhoi Cha Ga - Tomatoes Stuffed with Chicken Sausage
- 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breast (or thighs), cut into 2-in chunks, frozen for 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 green onions, white parts only, chopped
1 tsp mushroom powder or poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp of fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp of salt (adjust the amount)
- 1 tsp of fish sauce
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of cornstarch
- 4 medium size tomatoes
- Cooking oil
Cut each tomato into half. Scoop out pulp from tomatoes. In a plate, place tomatoes upside down to drain.
- Add ingredients of Part 1 in a food processor and process until everything is finely chopped. Continue to pulse until the chicken is coarsely ground — finer than chopped.
- Stuff the tomatoes. Spoon chicken sausage into tomatoes.
- Put the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the stuffed tomatoes with the stuffing side down. Cook until the stuffing surface nicely golden browned, about 10 to 15 minutes. Turn off heat, carefully flip the tomatoes, and cook for 1 minute for flavor. Do not overcook the tomatoes.
- Place stuffed tomatoes on the lettuce bed. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- You can serve the stuffed tomatoes with Chef Mario Batali’s Tomato Sauce.
- Add your favorite herbs and spices into chicken sausage.