Traditional Teochew Perng Kueh is the savory peach shape rice cake. The peach shape presents to longevity. It has “salty glutinous rice” filling. The filling is cooked glutinous rice, boiled peanuts, Chinese sausage, dried shrimp, Chinese celery, shallots, black mushrooms, black pepper, soy sauce.
- Recipe from Roseskitchen
- Recipe of Teochew_peach shaped_kueh
- Recipe of steamed-glutinous-rice-cake
- Ah Um’s Teochew Perng Kueh Very popular Youtube video
- See below cooking tips
For this dish, we’ll need to make dough and savory sticky rice.
- Make dough with rice flour or sweet rice flour.
- Dough made with sweet rice flower is better. Cake is soft even when it is cold. See the recipe of Banh It Tran to learn how to make the dough with sweet rice flour.
- Dough made from rice flour and tapioca flour is hard when the cake is cold. Do not use tapioca flour when you roll the dough. The rice flour and tapioca flour ratio should be 10:1.
- If the dough is dried, add a little bit of water at a time. If dough is too wet, add a tablespoon of rice or sweet flour, then mix well.
- Use bread machine or food processor to make large amount of dough with hot water. This is the best way.
- I recommend to soak sticky rice overnight then steam it. See this recipe to learn how to make savory sticky rice with Chinese sausages, and dried shrimp. Add the Chinese celery, cooked peanuts and other ingredients to your taste.